Saturday, January 27, 2007

Baseball Game




I went to the most famous baseball game you can go to here in the DR. It was Las Aguilas (The Eagles) versus Licey. They really are the only two teams that have any kind of competition and they always beat out the other professional teams in the country. Las Aguilas are from the Cibao Valley - where I live. So naturally everyone around here is an Aguilas fan. I, however, am not. Three years ago when I came, Eric Burns - who plays for the Oakland A's, was playing for Licey. Of course I was a Licey fan. He no longer plays, but I would feel like a traitor if I were to change teams now.


The reason being because here, it is not just a game. It is not my team won or lost. It is I won or lost. This is taken very seriously. I would be worse off changing teams then to stay with the "Losing" team (most people's opinion around here). I did lose. In the midst of the last game, my roommate Laura looks at me and says: "Here is the problem. We are at the equivalent of the World Series for the Dominican Republic and we paid $2 to get in." Just think if the United States World Series were only $2!


This was another "Dominican Experience."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home