Monday, June 16, 2008

Unfortuanetly, we did not make it to Haiti. It's a long story, but we're back here in Jarabacoa safe and sound. Thanks for all your prayers. Here is a small story of the first day of travel.

We left Jarabacoa at 7am. We got to Santo Domingo at 9:30. It took us an hour to buy our tickets because of course they don't take plastic - only cash (I should've known). Then the only ATM in the bus terminal was broken so I had to walk blocks away to find one where I realized that I had no access to my money because I had to destroy my debit card after the identity theft I experienced last week. Thankfully I am an American (how often do I really say that in this country?) with all it's privleges - yay for cash advance.

Then when I returned I was told I had to pay part of it in dollars (no they couldn't just multiply and charge me in pesos) so I had to go find somewhere to change money. Whey would I have dollars when I live in the Dominican Republic? I don't know! Finally we made it on the bus.

Wow, what a bus! The seats converted into mini beds and they gave us lunch, soda & candy! I thought "wow, this is better than an airplane; at least there was more leg room!" I thought this for an hour then the bus broke down. We were broken down on the side of the road for an hour and half, until they sent us a new bus. So late, but not stuck they sent us another bus.

We finally got the the border and because of improper papers for Braulio we weren't able to cross into Haiti. After 12 hours of travel we were less than an hour away from my Dad, Karla and our church friends. It was definatly dissappointing. I thought "Why, God?" "What is the lesson in all this?" So we spent the night in a hotel in Jimani, the border town and prepared for the 10 hour treck back to Jarabacoa yesterday.

We arrived in the evening, tired but good. We are still praying about what is the lesson in all this...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home