Tuesday, May 06, 2008

What does God want?


These are the homes of a couple of my students.

As I consider what it means to be American (born with privledge) while living and serving here the DR, I feel I am called to lead an even more humble lifestyle. As I struggle with this and how I can best bring glory to God through my life, I find Henri Nouwen's words are more able to express my thoughts...

Can we truly live with the poor? Although I live with them and share their life to some extent, I am far from poor. I live in a nice home with a running water & a water heater. I eat 3 good meals a day and I get to take a hot shower, sleep in, and have relaxation when I want it.
So my living with the poor hardly makes me poor. Should it be different? Some say yes, some say no. Some feel that to be a missionary for the poor, you should be no different from them, others say that such is not realistic or even authentic.
Adapted from Henri Nouwen, Gracias, Wednesday January 20th

I will continue to seek out God's desires for my lifestyle here and be open to any changes that might bring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home